Welcome everyone to the new season. The fantastic news is that we have a new pitch and new training times. We are also really excited to have Claire “Greenie” Greenway heading up our Ladies section coaching. She is a level 3 coach with loads of experience having worked also in the South and Sussex Set up.
From now until the 25th August 2015, there will be summer training for all to attending. It will not be serious; more of a friendly knock about to get your eye back in the game and may be get some fitness up before your first proper training session. This training is open to everyone so pass the word around. £3 a session at St Andrews. Tuesday 6.20-7.50pm.
Please note there will be no session 25th August as the school is shut! Training will start properly 1st September where training groups will be chosen at the end of the session.
15th August Ladies Social Rounders Victoria Park, Worthing from 3pm onwards
Saturday 12th September.
Time and venue: tbc – check website for details
There will be a social after this so make sure that you keep the evening free.
Claire will be the Ladies 1’s coach and each training session Claire will have at least one assistant coach working with her.
She will be working closely with all the ladies squads ( she will manage 1 session a month for ladies 3’s and llamas) and will have a very big say on who plays in which squad and who comes to which training. The other bonus is that she will be able to attend most if not all of the ladies 1s games, which from last season will be a massive help. We will also try to make sure all Ladies teams have a manager on match day.
Robyn will continue to coach the LLamas and ladies 3’s with help from Ladies 1’s.
Claire has also organised Goalkeeper coaching – further details to follow. This will also be done Tuesdays.
Minutes from Ladies Section Meeting 14th July 2015:
• It has been decided (by all of us) that the expectation is to attend training at least 3 times a month if you want to play for the Ladies 1/2’s. Obviously we are aware work and other commitments do get in the way sometimes so in order to help with this we ask players to contact their captain. This enables us to gain rough ideas of numbers for training to run patterns of play and unit stuff in teams and ideally help you in matches.
• Training will be split into 1/2 and 3/llamas being assessed every 3 weeks with a selection meeting to check we have people in the right groups and enable us to identify players who need to be pushed through, in particular the juniors.
• Training will consist largely of game based activities with core skills elements in between to focus on individual needs.
• All teams from llamas to 1st team will play the same formation, defend shorts and press in the same way. This enables easy movement between teams and players know the roles and responsibilities are the same.
• We will run a uniform warm up across the ladies section; this means that all players can lead and you are not relying on one individual. This ideally would not be the captain who has other match day responsibilities.
• There will be a meeting before training ends at xmas with all ladies to discuss selection and training. Also we will discuss league positions and what if anything needs to be changed to ensure we finish in the best possible positions or are at least safe.
New training times and pitch:
Training next season is going to be different. Subject to contract we will hopefully be training on the new pitch: The Boulevard, WORTHING, West Sussex, BN131JX. (Same site as Durrington High and Oak Grove College)
The ladies 1s and 2s will be training together this season from the new times of 7:30 – 9pm.
The Ladies 3’s and Llamas will be training 6.30-8pm.
Ladies 1’s Claire “Goodie” Goodger – 07813 373556
Ladies 2’s Robyn Hornby – 07584 070771
Ladies 3’s Janice – 07939227199
The captains and committee put a lot of their spare time and effort into ensuring the club runs smoothly and that you can play hockey every week. Please ensure you communicate with your captain your availability so we can organise teams early in the week and we aren’t still chasing people on friday night!
Please note we have been lucky enough to gain lots of new players over the summer so the teams you played in last year may not be the team you start in this year. You need to give availability every week for you to play for Worthing Hockey Club – not a particular team. Also bear in mind just because you start in the 1’s does not mean you will play for them every week. We want to play the strongest players we have in every team.
WHC has invested a lot of money in the new pitch and coaches so it is of great importance that you bring your match fee – £7 to every game and pay your subs(membership form on website soon). We will be extremely strict this year and no-one will be selected for league games who has not paid membership. If you pay social membership £20 because you cannot play many games then your match fee will be higher. If you have issues or extenuating circumstances please speak to me individually.
Finally – we all need to remember why we play hockey. It might be for the fun, social or competitive side of the game and we need to make sure that we enjoy ourselves even when training in the rain and cold! There will be regular club socials which I hope that you can all attend and we will be setting up ladies socials too.
Andrea (Diva) Catlow
Ladies Club Captain